I Am a Crazy Mom

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Bill Porter is awesome!

This evening, as mentioned in a previous post, I went to Enrichment for Relief Society. I thought it was for the whole stake, but really it was just for our ward and one other ward that goes to our building. So, there weren't a whole lot of ladies there, which made it a more intimate affair (probably 40 attended). ANYway, we first had a dinner, which was simple yet tasty. Each table had a nice centerpiece made up of a hefty bag of candy (m&m's, skittles, gummy bears) with three helium-filled baloons tied to it. At the end of the dinner, we were told that there was one chair at every table with a piece of blue tape on the bottom of it. The person in that chair was the winner of that table's centerpiece. Well, I didn't win the one at my table, but I took it upon myself to snatch the centerpiece at an empty table that no one sat at (after obtaining permission, of course!). We then migrated upstairs to the relief society room (for those of you who don't know, our church house is like mega-huge.... the biggest meetinghouse in North America). We were all able to squish into the room to listen to our speaker.

She spoke of her experiences as being the personal assistant to Bill Porter. Before tonight, I had no idea who Bill Porter is. I now know that he is an extremely dedicated and passionate person who doesn't let his personal obstacles in life get him down. In fact, in his mind, he doesn't have trials. He is a 73 year old man with cerebral palsey. Up until a few years ago, he walked 7-10 miles a day door-to-door selling household goods. He worked every day, rain or shine...now, he does his work online due to a back surgery. ANYway, we watched a 20/20 with him on it, and it also had this lady on it (the one who spoke to us tonight). I can't remember her name off the top of my head, but she was a really good speaker. Listening to her made me reflect on the trials I have had in my life. I realize that life is not "fair," but that it also has so much joy to offer us, even in our trials. Everyone has their own set of trials and obstacles to face in life, and we all knew about them when we chose to come to Earth. Wow. I'm glad I went tonight.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:07 PM, Blogger Dawnyel said…

    It's wonderful to go to meetings like that to help get a nice perspective on our own lives...I'm glad that you had a good time. I love going to those kind of things! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home