I Am a Crazy Mom

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Some more thougths on the homelesss....

Well, I thank my friends for the comments they left with my last night's rant. I probably seem like a heartless person. It's the whole asking for money thing that I have a problem with. I have donated to soup kitchens and food banks in the past (I've also donated to thrift stores, etc), and like Mattsmom, I don't see a problem giving food to people. She pointed out that, at least with food, you know that you're not providing them the means to do something you disagree in (drugs, alcohol, etc.). The only time people have approached me, though, they have asked for money or cigarettes or "money for smokes." There have been a few times when, walking in downtown Portland, my whole family has been approached by people asking for money. Not to mention the droves of peole quietly sitting on the side with signs, asking for help. Maybe I'm just a little over-protective of my two small children, but I really don't feel comfortable when a stranger asks for money with my kids right by me. The way I see it, any money these people do get from begging is just a quick fix, not helping them in the long run. If anything, I would dare say that some (but not all) are hindered by that hand-out because they will settle for leading that type of life, knowing that they can get the money. I wish there were more programs to help get these poeple off the streets and reahabilitated to a better, healthier lifestyle. I would have no problem donating to those charities... Meanwhile, I have to try to find a delicate way to explain all of this to my five year old daughter, and eventually my baby boy. (No, I don't rant to them the way I did on my blog... that was a brief moment of frustration). As a parent, where do you draw the line? I want my kids to know that we are all children of God.... that he loves all of us, and that we should be kind to one another. We are all human, and part of being human means we have flaws and make mistakes... mistakes that Christ atoned for. So, who are we to condemn people? At the same time, I don't want people taking advantage of my children (or scaring them, for that matter). I'll have to do some more pondering on this issue. Perhaps I'll write some more later about it.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger Dawnyel said…

    When you figure out how to break that news to Jazz and Ty...will you tell me how you did it? I'm stumped as to how to do that same thing with Cam! I do want him to love people without judging them, but it's VERY hard to do that.

     
  • At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    After I commented last night I really hoped that I had not offended you. It thionk it was a lot the way you put things that I disagreed with...because I know you...and I know that you are NOT a heartless person, and that it was just a rant. I do feel the way I wrote last night...but I also agree with you about wanting to protect your children. I do not envy you. I am VERY grateful to live in the area I do where it is too darn cold for a lot of homeless to live on the streets. I think that it would be very difficult to deal with strangers approaching you and your children on such a consistent basis.
    The best way I can think of to teach the kids about this is service! Help out at a soup kitchen, or donate your time once in awhile to Salvation army...your kids seeing you helping those who are less furtunate than you would be a valuable lesson. Explain to them that there are programs in this country to help them and that if they choose to accept...there is a lot of help for them...but that begging is not the best way to get ahead in life. Just because I do not hate them...that does not mean I agree with their choices either! It is a sad sad world we live in.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home